As in all 50 states, California has many and very specific regulations that apply in car accidents. If you are involved in an Orange County car accident in the state, these are some of the laws that will affect you.
* You must stop if you are in a car accident that involves another person, a moving or parked vehicle or someone else’s property. If you don’t stop, you can be charged with a hit and run, which can mean a fine, jail time, loss of your license, or all three.
* If you hit a parked vehicle but cannot find the driver, the law allows you to leave the scene to report it only after you leave your name and address in an easy-to-find area.
* You must report an accident to local police or the California Highway Patrol (CHP).
* If you are involved in a car accident in which someone is injured, the law says you must give reasonable assistance, such as calling an ambulance. If first aid is required, you should assist only if you are qualified.
* As a driver and vehicle owner, you must be able to prove financial
responsibility in an accident, which usually means auto insurance and usually involves $15,000 coverage if a person is injured or killed and $5,000 for property damage.
* California has so-called “statutes of limitations” laws, which limit the time period when you can file a lawsuit in a car accident. These limits include two years for filing a personal injury suit and three years for filing a property damage suit.
If you are involved in a car accident in California and wish to start a lawsuit for physical injury or property damage or if you are sued after involvement in an accident, contact an experienced California lawyer as soon as possible.
If your accident takes place in Orange County, contact our firm as soon as possible. We are well experienced with California’s vehicle accident and personal injury laws. Our injury law firm will be able to untangle the complicated and often confusing problems that result from accidents that deal with cars, truck, motorcycles, and people. We are here for you and we can help.